Friday, May 2, 2014

No Grains, No Gains - Changes in the Family!

No Grains, No Gains - Changes in the Family!

NO GRAINS, NO GAINS: A GROUP A OF PRIMAL/PALEO/GRAIN FREE WOMEN WHO BLOG ABOUT THEIR EXPERIENCES/LIFE/BENEFITS WITHOUT GRAINS. A GREAT WAY FOR OTHERS (WHO MAY BE WANTING TO LOSE WEIGHT, REVERSE AN ACUTE/CHRONIC HEALTH TREND, AND/OR TRANSITION FROM COMMERCIAL WEIGHT LOSS PROGRAMS) TO READ ABOUT REAL LIFE WOMEN WHO ARE LIVING THE LIFE AND SUCCEEDING!


The topic for our blog group is about changes in my family since I went grain free.

First, I want to say that my now-husband (then-boyfriend) came along for the paleo ride 100% with me. He strictly followed the Whole30 our first month and has been a total support ever since. He wanted a healthy body that would carry him through a long life with strength and mobility for *himself*. That was so important. I didn't have to drag him, kicking and screaming, along. I didn't have to do any convincing. He wanted a healthy body... and that's one of the many reasons I married him. I couldn't see myself partnered to someone who was slowly poisoning their bodies with crap food.

There is no temptations in our house. There is not one grain or legume or dairy product in our house. The only junk food we have is dark chocolate (which we portion out for the week).

I cannot tell you how easy it made the transition.

I know a LOT of women bloggers who struggle with avoiding temptation because their families don't eat grain-free or even clean. And I give them soooo many props for succeeding in that situation!! But I am glad that is not a struggle I have. I really, truly don't know that I would be successful if my husband ate differently from me... one of my biggest keys to success is having my house set up for clean and paleo eating only.

I want my husband to live as long as he possibly can. I want him to thrive and be healthy in those years. Just like I want those things for myself. So I am glad we are on the same page with eating (also with smoking cigarettes, that's a big no-no for me and he's agreed and hasn't smoked in a long, long time). I want the same for my possible future children.

So - changes in my family? Yeah, definitely. We are different people than when we first started dating (ohh, we loved frozen pizza and going out for burgers!)

I'm glad we grew together AND grew in the same direction. It helps us to stay close. We love to grocery shop together weekly, cook together nightly, and support each other when temptation looms!

Other things that have changed?

Some of my extended family teases me. Tells me I am too thin. Asks why I don't want cake - it's "REAL" food, right? No.

However, my cousin has recently been experimenting with paleo - and that makes me feel great :D 

But, in the end, the biggest support I need is the one I have, my husband and partner in life. 

<3

If you want to see how other women who follow a paleo/primal template have to say about changes in their families since going paleo/primal, give my fellow bloggers a read:



6 comments:

  1. It just thrills me to see that you and Chris are on the same page on your lifestyle. I can't help but think it will make your life rich in both health and your emotional relationship.

    I get the case of the sads when people's family sabotage or don't make some sort of shift when it's obviously making them sick or keeping a dysfunctional pattern alive. Loved your post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very lucky that your hubby is 100% in tune with you on the NG eating. Enjoy your long life together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful post - yes, we are lucky that our partners are on board 100%, it certainly does make it easier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just watched my husband eat a whole wheat bun with dinner tonight:-( SNAP! Oh well, I guess he's not 100% but he tries:-) We were out to dinner and rules change for him when we're eating out. Glad Chris is so supportive:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My hubby will eat the healthy dinners I make, but he'll eat other stuff too. He'll have bread with his meal, and he'll have whatever he wants for lunch. He also brings junk treats in the house, but I'm honestly not the least bit tempted by those. While I wish he didn't eat them, I can't make him eat healthier. But I don't find it hard to stay the course no matter what he does, so I'm ok. There will always be temptations in life so it's good I'm used to avoiding them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in a similar boat as ^^Anna^^. My husband has definitely started to recognize what makes him feel better and worse. Baby steps. He's generally very supportive I just have to make choices about what to eat because there is a wide range of food in my house.

    ReplyDelete