Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Existing!


I started my first week with Hunter alone - it's super hard to do anything, even anything as simple as getting food to eat for myself, when it's just me and the baby. I'm pretty exhausted!

Nothing much is changed, however. Just taking care of Hunter and managing to survive myself, somehow. I'm dirty and tired and eating whatever food people have brought us, whether it's junk or healthy. My weight has held steady, however, which is a miracle considering how much crap I've been eating!

I haven't gone for a walk in a couple days, but I think it's actually been good, as my incision and midsection are feeling a lot less tender recently.

I'm trying my best to enjoy this time with my son. I will admit that it's very hard, though. Breast-feeding is not going as smoothly as I would like, though we are making progress every week, as he gets a little older and stronger and we fall into a pattern together. He doesn't sleep well at night, which is a struggle, of course. We're just surviving right now!

I can't believe that Christmas is next week! I haven't done anything really to prepare for it - no presents for anyone, I have to have Chris get on that for me! Especially since I think my brother is coming up this weekend to do a little mini Christmas because he's going to Florida on the actual holiday.

That's all that's up with me, really! Tired, overwhelmed and not doing too much :) 


3 comments:

  1. Parenthood really is the most wonderful, terrifying, gratifying, frustrating experience. My girls are 3 and 5. I had 2 c-sections, the first was an emergency. I soooo wanted to nurse, but I didn't produce enough, so had to supplement. The movies (yes, blaming the movies) make having a baby look so glamourous and joyous. And the joy is real. But post-partum is the most unglamorous I've ever felt. I remember thinking "what did we do? We won't have a life anymore", but it does get better. Hang in there! The days that you don't get a shower until 5pm, you don't do the dishes, and you sleep in 15 minute increments are short-lived in the grand scheme. But boy, is it tough! You're not alone, at all! What a cutie, Jeanette!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a friend who had twins. They were children #3 and #4 in that family and #2 was a hellion. Her husband used to make a pile of pbj's every morning before he left for work and that is what they all lived on, all day, every day. She breastfed both babies at the same time, so that helped. She said she pretty much never got a shower. I have never known how on earth she made it. I was over my head with one. And my kids are all four years apart.

    If you are still having breastfeeding issues, call your lactation consultant. Do not be embarrassed. She is there to help. Be sure you are telling her everything.

    Are you sleeping whenever the baby sleeps, around the clock? Take advantage of this time while you are home and you can. The thing about babies, in my opinion, is you have to pace yourself for the long haul. After newborn not sleeping can come teething not sleeping. So you truly have to forget about anything else that you can, and sleep as much as you can. Priorities.

    I would suggest not trying to cook recipe type stuff, but just have your husband cook batch type stuff. Chicken breasts, squash, roasted veggies, etc. Things that all he has to do is put them in the oven and you can eat it hot or cold. And it lasts for days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your baby boy! I am way behind on reading blogs but glad to catch up a bit.

    I know exactly what you mean and I promise that it gets better. Those first few months are the hardest. You will surprise yourself with how capable and strong you are. Keep your head up. Take time for yourself- it's so important, even if it's just a shower!

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete