Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Winter munchies

I am weighing in consistently at 121.2 - 121.6 for over a week. After Thanksgiving, with all the holiday parties, with the concerts, the get togethers, etc. I am pleased that, at this time of the year, I am holding steady at a low (almost my lowest ever as an adult - 118) weight.

I do want to be 119, though. At this weight, those extra two pounds or so make a HUGE difference with the line of my body.

If I am completely honest with myself, I know why I am holding steady slightly higher than I would like.

Cold, gray, winter weather.

I am working really hard to fit exercise in (walking, yoga, home body weight strength training, cardio sessions)... but, in the spring, summer, and fall, it happens so naturally and all the time! I walk everywhere, to all my friends' houses, to the store, whatever. Koda gets extra walks. We hike several times a week. We just are always outside.

It's hard to replicate that behavior when it is so damned frigid out! Even as bundled up as I can get, I am still uncomfortable in the really cold winter weather. And my 20 or 30 minute little exercise sessions just don't match up to being active all day long!

And as far as food - I am eating ALL the right things. Lean meats, tons of veggies, healthy fats and a little fruit. Sticking really close to paleo. Organic. Clean. All of that.

No Chip December is a huge success thus far - really limiting my social snacking!

My alcohol consumption is VERY low... less than once a week. Very different from last year where I was hitting the beer pretty damned hard.

But, if I am completely honest with myself, my portions have gotten a little bigger and I've been reaching for extra raisins or a spoonful of sunflower seed butter randomly. It's COLD out!!! I'm hungrier than I was in the summer! (Might have something to do with the fact that I spend more time inside, too... general malaise makes me eat more).

I know I have healthy behaviors (especially when I see my friends who down a bottle of wine and a big bowl of pasta with cream sauce for just one meal)...

So, I am going to be forgiving of myself. This is the season that, naturally, animals put on protective weight. It is hard to battle that biological drive.

However, I am also going to be strict with myself. 121 is fine. But an extra 5, 10, 15 pounds? Not needed and not okay.

It would be so easy to let it all spin out of control. Especially with all the holiday drinking, eating, snacking, and sweet treats around.

Seasonal fluctuations are normal. Big weight gains are not.

Drinking my coffee right now after eating a really weird brunch (I missed breakfast because I was running errands) - cauliflower, tomatoes, onions, mushrooms, spinach, beef and eggs all scrambled together with some chili type spices. Yummy, though!

Off to finish living my day :)

Namaste <3


1 comment:

  1. I think as we get lower, we tend to blow up (maybe even out of proportion?) how maybe 2 pounds affect us or our looks. That said, it is a bigger percentage of our overall weight than compared to when we were obese, though. So there is that, too/then. I'd much rather get upset over a pound or two, than not gives a rat's ass until it's hit 10 or 20 pounds. So I'm right there with you. And we are hitting the hard and heavy part of the holiday season, where the food REALLY starts to flow. We have to really knuckle down now and just get through the next 2-2.5 weeks. :)

    ReplyDelete