Monday, December 2, 2013

Holiday Promises, 7 Minute Plank Workout

I weighed in this morning at 122 pounds again. That's pretty good for this time of year, lower than I've ever been in my life in December! That feels like quite a feat to me. I've only reached my goal weight in the last two years, but I've always messed up quite a bit around the holidays at the end of the year. And it's taking me a while to get back on track in the new year.

I certainly don't want that to be a repeat occurrence!

Chris and I ate very clean and very Paleo yesterday. And we feel a lot better today for it. It's how the rest of the week is going to be. And how next week is going to be. We both want to feel good this year, and that's pretty much the jist of it.

So! Exercise. Most of you know my feelings about exercise. I like to stay active, incorporate generalized exercise into my everyday life. But I don't go to the gym or purposefully set aside a lot of time for JUST exercise. 

Aside from my hour-long dog walks every day and my light yoga/strength workouts I do, I decided to amp up the exercise a little bit. I want to rev up my metabolism, and tone up a little bit.

So I've downloaded some apps to help me get back into the groove. One of the apps is the seven minute plank work out.


This is a killer!

I can do planks for between a minute and two minutes usually. But this work out has you doing all sorts of exercises while in plank position. Mountain climbers, jumping jacks, and things like that. And it's for seven minutes straight!

I really feel it in my shoulders arms core and back. I really like this work out- it's something different that I don't usually do and targeting areas of my body that don't get a ton of strength work every day.

I also downloaded an exercise app that has a variety of cardio, ab, leg, etc. workouts. You can pick five minutes, eight minutes, 10 minutes and what type of exercise you'd like to focus on and the app shows you a video of someone doing the exercise and start the countdown of how long should do it for. Just a really good way to keep myself honest and moving for a set period of time.

Getting serious about not backsliding this time of year and keeping those promises to myself.

It's really important.

I want to set a good example for myself, the people around me, and the people who read this blog. I don't want to just pay lip service to health. I want this to be a real thing- something that I've always struggled with, I want to overcome.

I had a great, fun, long weekend. And I'm still healthy at the end of it. I think it's a reasonable thing to strive for. And I think it's something reasonable we can all do.

Namaste <3

1 comment:

  1. Well, maybe it's because I'm the age I am, but a brisk hour of dog walking is nothing to sneeze at! but if you feel you want or need more, I guess I should say go for it! :)

    ReplyDelete