Being someone who eats mainly paleo and blogs about paleo and reads about paleo... well, I run into a lot of talk about cauliflower rice, but I've never tried it. I've mashed my cauliflower so it sates that desire for potatoes, but the rice was never something I really desired (mostly because rice is the grain I will eat when I go a little off paleo (sushi!!) because it is still gluten free so I don't have to miss it as much).
Anyway, organic cauliflower was on sale this week, so I picked it up and thought it was a good time to try the cauliflower rice!
Came out DELICIOUS. Really liked it. So did Chris!
Here is what I did:
- put a pan on medium heat with a tablespoon of olive oil
- chopped up a head of cauliflower and put it in the food processor, pulsing till it was the size of rice/couscous/quinoa
- chopped up onion (not quite fine, but not big chunks)
- sauteed the onion till it was translucent
- threw in the cauliflower
- put in my seasonings (oregano, basil, thyme, garlic powder, black pepper and paprika)
- mixed it all around pretty good, covered it for a few minutes
- after a VERY short period of time, it was tender!
It was a REALLY beige meal for us... we usually have tons of colorful veggies, but this is what we happened to have in the house and it was all fresh and ready for use. Chris and I both eat greens and other veggies throughout the day, so I didn't mind :)
Anyway, the texture was really pleasant, the cauliflower was tender and really flavorful (all chopped up, it really absorbed the spices and cooked evenly).
Thumbs up from this girl!