Sunday, May 20, 2012

18+ mile day

I am weary today, to be expected. We hiked our hardest (as far as isolation of the mountain, adding in the fact it is top-3 most rugged High Peak!) hike so far. Over 18 miles in 12 hours. Over 2200 feet of ascent in a two mile stretch. (Also we got up at 4 AM to get an early start... hiked from 7-7!) Whew!

We felt pretty proud, though... it was a big one on our list! I have a NEWFOUND respect for the 46ers! Anyone who is a 46er HAD to climb this mountain (Allen) and I will deeply respect anyone with the character to do it :D

I pre-measured out my food before the hike and I brought about 2400 calories of tuna, chicken, lara bars, nuts, paleo banana bread, almond butter and apples with me. For breakfast, we ate a homemade, pre-made quiche and a homemade, pre-made smoothie (bananas, strawberries, and coconut milk!)

Came home, had a turkey burger with a fried egg on top (no bun) and fell promptly asleep :D

Recovering today, some nice city walking, a little coffee and movie watching.

Here are some pictures (the hike had a long, flat section at the start with some AMAZING nature... we saw frogs, toads, efts, snakes and all kinds of birds, not to mention WILDFLOWERS!):

Gorgeous pond with a decrepit bridge at the start


SNAKE

Frog with leaf hat

Huge scary slide we had to go up!

View from Allen's summit

My vibrams that helped me cross the river!


The End!

Namaste, friends :)

2 comments:

  1. What an awesome place to go hiking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the hike! Sounds like you had a great time. Hope you enjoy your day of rest.

    ReplyDelete