Thursday, March 20, 2014

How to really look at health...



I have this photo I took at Blue Cliff monastery as the opening screen on my phone.

It's a reminder that the present moment us all we have.

"When we are mindful, deeply in touch with the present moment, our understanding of what is going on deepens, and we begin to be filled with acceptance, joy, peace and love." - Thich Nhat Hanh

Living too much in the past or future is not healthy. 

Though, it is still important to do WELL in the present moment- to take care, to love, to do careful work. These things matter. But, this moment is everything, and happiness can be found in the present.

If your present body is all you have, it is important to enjoy it and treat it with respect... If you aren't guaranteed any amount of future with it, be at peace now.

But like I said before.. It is still important to do well by your body:

"Keeping your body healthy is an expression of gratitude to the whole cosmos — the trees, the clouds, everything." - Thich Nhat Hanh

I'm trying to remember these teachings. To be present and to be calm. It makes the rest of the things I need to do easier - because I'm not stressed about what may or may not happen (which is the crux of anxiety- worrying about things that have not yet come to pass, and may never).

So I continue to do right in the present, for the sheer fact that it is good and right and healthy and honoring.

Sorry for the introspection this morning. However, in the end, the health of your spirit and your heart affects the health of your body and your life so much. It's not something I want to forget and it's not something I want to pretend doesn't matter here.

Exercises, food, all of those things matter. But it's not the only thing we should be talking about.

I've only truly begun to have a healthy body and to enjoy that body once I started to feel my spirit and mind.

Peace and Light to you all out there!!!

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Jeanette. I TOTALLY try to live this way, too. :)

    ReplyDelete