Wednesday, April 3, 2013

My easy shopping list

Grocery shopping for me and my fiance is really, really easy. And that's because the shopping list hasn't changed in about a year. It is simple, to the point, and has everything that our bodies need to function.

First stop, produce:

  • peppers
  • onions
  • broccoli
  • tomatoes
  • spinach
  • whatever vegetable is seasonally available/cheap: brussels sprouts, asparagus, squash, whatever
  • sweet potatoes
  • apples
  • whatever fruit is seasonally available: melons, berries, whatever!

Next stop, meat:

  • ground chicken or turkey
  • beef if it is on sale (we wait for the antibiotic free meat to be on sale)
  • chicken legs or thighs
  • pork loin or pork chop
  • the whole, natural chicken if it is on sale
  • whatever caught-at-sea fish is on sale
  • turkey bacon

Next stop, dairy:


  • cage free, antibiotic/growth hormone free eggs
  • unsweetened almond milk
  • almond milk or coconut milk yogurt

And.... um. Well, that's it. Sometimes we need condiments:


  • we get the tamari soy sauce, I like the ingredients better
  • No HFCS ketchup
  • olive oil based mayo
  • mustard
  • spices

And then I'll buy a chocolate bar or seltzer as a last stop if I want it. But that's not a purchase we always make. And Chris makes a weekly trip to the Farmer's Market to get my gluten-free bread, nuts, mushrooms, and elk meat :D

It's just a very simple grocery list. It doesn't vary.

It helps me not be tempted by all the colorful packages and junk that is all over the grocery store.

And we eat exactly what we need to eat to be healthy. We have our lean meats, our fatty meats, all the vegetables we could want, a small amount of fruit, nuts and even a treat for the week (chocolate).

We often look at our fridge or cupboard when we are jonesing for junk food.... and nothing is there. Not a cracker, no cheese, no cookies or cakes, not even a chip in the whole house. And, so, we end up not eating junk. If we are really, truly hungry, we might make a sweet potato or a piece of toast or have a yogurt. Nothing destructive.

Keep it simple.

Set yourself up for success.

Namaste :)

2 comments:

  1. Love it!
    BTW, I'll keep my eyes open for aspartame free gum. The more I think about it, the more I think it's a leftover oral fixation habit from being a smoker. I chewed a lot of gum while quitting, and the habit kind of stuck around for the past 4 years. Even though I miss the gum, I know I'm WAY better off without the aspartame!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post, little sistah!

    ReplyDelete