Sunday, January 26, 2014

From hospital to high peak :)

I did it! 9 mile hike (part snow shoe, part microspike) up a trail-less High Peak, Nye. I opted out of the extra mile needed to hit the second peak, Street. We had to do one big climb to get to the ridge line where both the mountains are, so I felt accomplished enough to hit the one peak! The ridge line was super cold and windy and I just wanted to get back down to the valley where the weather was more pleasant. Once we climbed off the majority of the mountain, there was a 3-4 mile beautiful hike through the snowy woods that I REALLY enjoyed - the snow was lightly falling and the forest was quiet.

But still, I felt very accomplished and strong to be out in the snowy weather, climbing one of NY's High Peaks! A High Peak, no matter if it is the tallest or shortest or exposed or treed-in, is ALWAYS tough, and I was exhausted by the end of it (almost fell asleep in the car on the way home!).

I felt almost completely normal! I would say I felt extra fatigued, but I haven't been active in any sort of considerable way in two weeks, and I was just recently hospitalized with minor surgery and transfusions. However, my friends weren't really in any better shape than me at the end of the hike. Everyone was tired from the climb! So it was pretty normal that I was a little wiped out.

I'm a bit sore this morning and slept a little extra, but otherwise, everything is normal.

I got a lot of comments and messages expressing concern that I would be pushing it to do a long hike yesterday, that I should be careful with my body. But the doctor gave me zero exercise restrictions and I haven't felt any pain or discomfort for the entire past week (just a little extra tired). I knew I had the strength to do the hike and felt very confident I wouldn't hurt myself doing it. I, obviously, always had the option to turn around if I felt wonky at all - but I felt fine. No stranger to being exhausted on a hike, we have done some really hard and long hikes in the past four years. The feelings I had on the climb yesterday were pretty normal.

I'm excited, actually :) I was in the hospital on the 16th and climbed a mountain on the 25th - I am back, I am capable, I am strong, I am healing. I am absolutely alive.

Me at the summit marker!


Feeling good after the summit... ready to head back down, though!
I've learned to be more careful - to listen to my body better. To pay attention to things that change or go wrong, etc. I won't ignore symptoms again!! (I have a primary care physician now, so I can call and get some good advice from nurses or a doctor that knows me!).

I was careful yesterday - I wouldn't have hiked if it felt wrong. But it felt SO right.

Moving forward!!!

Namaste <3


  1. I am so impressed! And brrrr does that look cold! Great job woman on listening to your body and getting back to your normal routine!

  2. That is some walk... and in the snow? Well done and I'm so glad you are feeling so great.

  3. You did great Jeanette, and those snow pictures are nice to look at from my nice warm room !

    All the best Jan

  4. Wow....good work. Great photos.