Monday, July 1, 2013

Cooking spaghetti squash

I get a lot of comments and questions asking how I make my spaghetti squash and if it is easy to cook.


Well, first the answer to if it is easy to cook is a loud, resounding YES!

This is what I do in a few, simple steps:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Cut squash in half, lengthwise.

3. Cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil

4. Put squash halves on baking sheet, face-down. (You don't need to oil or season unless you REALLY want to - I like to let what I am putting on the squash at the end flavor it)

5. Bake the squash until the tops start to brown and get soft - they will start to "cave in" almost.

6. Pull the squash out, flip them over and use a fork to "rake" the squash meat inside - it will naturally come out looking like spaghetti, and it is fully cooked and ready to eat!

If you don't use oil in the baking process (which you don't need) the squash itself is really low calorie. You can put anything on it you want - I like to put a meat and vegetable tomato sauce on top, it feels like an Italian meal! You could toss it with anything or even eat it plain with a few herbs sprinkled on it. Whatever!

Here are some Google Image pictures of the squash cooked and being "raked":




Try it out if you haven't - we really prefer this to pasta at this point (we don't get all bloaty afterwards!).

Enjoy :)

5 comments:

  1. I LOVE spaghetti squash! It's a staple in this household:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting this! I'm going to the grocery store to buy on this week! HOORAY! (Hopefully I don't screw it up.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep meaning to do this, and stupidly forgetting when I hit the market. DOH. Thanks for the reminder!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to try it again. Didn't care for it the first time I tried it, but I know my tastes have changed so its worth another try. Thanks for the tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I roast and eat the seeds, too.

    ReplyDelete