Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Keeping it simple.

I have been keeping things very simple this week. Simple, straightforward food. Simple, continuous activity. Very little thinking or worrying going on.

Holding steady at 123.6 for three days now. That means it wasn't a fluke! Very exciting for me :)

I am being pretty simple and strict this week because I have a party weekend at a cabin in the woods coming up - our friends are having a joint bachelor/bachelorette party (it's weird: my computer always underlines bachelorette as if it's spelled wrong and tries to correct it to bachelor... computer doesn't want us girls to have some fun, too??).

Anyway, haha.

Food is being provided for us. I'm assuming, since it's summer, it will be grill food, BBQ-type sides, etc. My plan is to stay as paleo as I would at home. I can eat a burger with no bun. I can enjoy fruit and vegetable dishes. Breakfast is usually eggs and bacon with this group. So aside from not eating the QUALITY type of foods I like eating (doubt the beef is grass fed or that the bacon is nitrate free), I'm okay with going into the weekend.

Haven't drank in a while, but I plan to have a few this weekend. Making a promise to myself to not overdo it, though. No reason for all that. I have learned in the past that I am out of my shell enough to have a great time with people without getting trashed first!

I turned to alcohol in my mid-20s, when I had just lost weight, had a new body, and was trying to have a social life for the first time, really. I went out with co-workers and drank a LOT to loosen up and feel comfortable and part of the group. I don't need to do that anymore, I am more confident now.

Back to being strict to prepare for the weekend-

Chris is traveling for work this week, so I prepped food for myself this week. I made a big turkey chili (ground turkey, snap peas, garlic scapes, mushrooms, onions and tomatoes) that I have been eating once a day with baba ganoush on top and once a day mixed in with eggs. The rest of the day, I've been grazing on melon, bananas with sunflower butter, sweet potatoes, annnnnnd... that's about it.

Keeping it simple.

The ONLY silver lining to Chris being gone for the week is that my food gets super simple. There is a little prep work at the beginning of the week and then I don't have to think about food for days.

Plan for the day is to walk the dog, weed the tulip beds, plant some rose bushes, do a little yoga, and then... who knows :)

Namaste, my friends!

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great weekend; hope the weather is summer-tastic.

    This is what people need to know about a clean/Primal/Paleo lifestyle, exactly: they don't need a collection of cookbooks and complicated recipes and exotic ingredients. They also don't get to eat two pounds of steak in a setting. You get your proteins: eggs, fish, poultry, beef, pork -- whatever you prefer, the best quality you can afford. You cook it simply: salt, pepper, a few herbs or spices of your choice...in a good quality olive oil, coconut oil, or just grilled or roasted in the oven. You get all the veggies you love, eat them raw or steam them or grill them. You throw in a fruit or two here and there; some nuts or nut butter here and there. And you drink water. You eat when you're hungry and you stop when you're full. NO BRAINER. People who are determined to make a big project out of "going Paleo" seem, without exception, to view it as yet another temporary "quick fix" during which they are going to be "deprived" of cheese and candy -- and are, hence, doomed to fail. When eating good quality whole foods in proper portions, prepared simply, becomes your way of life (as it has for you, and for me, 95% of the time) it becomes insanely easy to eat for health.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! I wanted to make a similar comment in the whole30 thread on the forum. Remember how much of a big project some people were making it in the beginning? By the end of the month they had it figured out, dialed in, and even plans to continue long term. I swear thinking is the death of us.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Vb...I want to tear what little hair I have right out of my head whenever I read about someone "planning to think about trying to maybe try Paleo" and how they're researching cookbooks, recipes, etc. Buy some chicken thighs. Salt, pepper, rosemary, onion powder. On the grill for 8 minutes per side. Meanwhile, steam some green beans and make a pile of baby spinach, olives, tomatoes, and cucumber. Throw the beans and chicken on top of it. Drizzle with olive oil. Eat. Be full. Feel good.

      Delete
    3. One of our friends bought us the Paleo Comfort Food Cookbook when they learned we were doing paleo.... we never use it!!!

      Chris uses ONE recipe out of it to make a flourless chocolate cake for special occasions (like 2 or 3 times a year). That's it. Could have just looked up the recipe online.

      Cookbooks for paleo are wasted on us. We cook veggies and meat and that's it. Eat fresh fruit and nuts and there you go. Simple, easy.

      Delete
    4. THAT is what was holding me back from even finding out what Paleo was! The other day I saw a recipe for Paleo pancakes and Paleo banana bread...seriously???? I hope I didn't come across as making a big song and dance about it on the Forum, vb...I honestly had no idea what it was all about - the Whole30 was a great way to start! :-!

      Delete
  2. I totally agree with Norma. For me, primal eating is the easiest and tastiest it's ever been.

    Jeanette, sounds like you've got not only this week wired in, but the party weekend coming up, as well! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you are tiny! The weekend party sounds like some good times are ahead. Enjoy yourself.

    ReplyDelete