Thursday, June 20, 2013

In case you don't read the comments:

I wanted to share a comment I got from yesterday, because it sums up my feelings about eating paleo (or generally just eating healthy) very well!

I know I don't always read the comments to the blogs I read, unless I am leaving a comment or the topic is of particular interest to me. But I got a great comment from Norma yesterday and I wanted to share it (if you can't tell from how much I link to Norma, I think she's pretty awesome and you should really go read a couple weeks worth of her blog posts):

This is what people need to know about a clean/Primal/Paleo lifestyle, exactly: they don't need a collection of cookbooks and complicated recipes and exotic ingredients. They also don't get to eat two pounds of steak in a setting. You get your proteins: eggs, fish, poultry, beef, pork -- whatever you prefer, the best quality you can afford. You cook it simply: salt, pepper, a few herbs or spices of your choice...in a good quality olive oil, coconut oil, or just grilled or roasted in the oven. You get all the veggies you love, eat them raw or steam them or grill them. You throw in a fruit or two here and there; some nuts or nut butter here and there. And you drink water. You eat when you're hungry and you stop when you're full. NO BRAINER. People who are determined to make a big project out of "going Paleo" seem, without exception, to view it as yet another temporary "quick fix" during which they are going to be "deprived" of cheese and candy -- and are, hence, doomed to fail. When eating good quality whole foods in proper portions, prepared simply, becomes your way of life (as it has for you, and for me, 95% of the time) it becomes insanely easy to eat for health. 


Love it. She said exactly what I think about this.


Stop making eating well complicated, whether you are eating paleo or not.


You know a whole food when you see one. You know processed junk when you see it. Eat one, not the other.


Cook those whole foods simple, with good oils and all the herbs/spices you want. Same for the veggies. Or eat them raw. Whatever. Simple. 


Give your body fuel to live your life.


In other news: my calorie counter app on my iPhone wouldn't work yesterday! Argh! I like to keep a general tally for the day so I don't go crazy. Especially right now when I am trying to actively lose weight.


BUT


Keeping to my own rule of keeping it simple and easy- I just ate the same thing I ate the day before, and the day before that. I eat the same breakfasts, lunches, snacks and a variation on the same dinner almost every day.


So no big deal about the app failing. Just kept on keeping on. Weighed in a little heavier this morning, 124.2, but that's life! 


In other news, look at my haul from berry picking yesterday (so excited to have fresh berries as dessert!):








Namaste. Stay bright.

8 comments:

  1. Yum! Those berries look awesome, and I agree about Norma, she should be making money from her Blog - knows her stuff and tells it like it is ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those strawberries look amazing! I need to pick up some new produce this weekend for the upcoming week. I'm hoping the fruit looks great this weekend for my smoothies in the upcoming week.

    I don't eat Paleo but I stay away from processed foods and cook almost all my meals :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paleo is great when you are healthy and intelligent and reasonable. Obese people need to get healthier in order for Paleo to work.. Just my opinion..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think paleo could work for an obese person that is intelligent and reasonable. But you are mostly right, I think - severely obese people are in NO frame of mind usually to approach paleo the right way.

      Most people aren't actually.

      Obese or not, so many people are wrapped up in America's sick food culture, they want everything to look like pizza or cake.

      Delete
  4. Jeanette, yes I raved about Norma's comment to you yesterday too. She cuts right to the chase, and I really like and appreciate that.

    Fresh, ripe summer fruit is one of the best things about summer! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The berries look amazing! Ours are growing nicely in our garden :) Only one at a time are getting ripe though. The kids like going out and snagging them as they ripen, so it's all good.
    The comment from Norma hits it on the head. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the people who try to make "pizza" and "cakes" and "cookies" out of paleo stuff...And those berries look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have berry envy!

    Thanks for the shout-out, little sistah. Seriously, though...when I read about people researching "the best Paleo recipes and cookbooks" (which means they are putting off making any changes at all until they find the ones they want, order them from Amazon, get them in the mail, read them, go shopping, etc.) it's really hard for me to stop myself from screaming, GO BUY A PACKAGE OF CHICKEN THIGHS AND THROW THEM IN THE OVER AT 350 FOR HALF AN HOUR. THROW THEM ON TOP OF A PILE OF BABY SPINACH AND TOMATOES AND CUCUMBERS AND AVOCADO. THERE'S YOUR FUCKING RECIPE.

    ReplyDelete