Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Avoiding Overeating When Sick

I went to the doctor yesterday. She looked in my good ear first and then she looked in the one that I assumed was infected.

Her reaction? "Oh my God! You have a horrible infection!"

Haha! Lovely!

Ah, well, I'm on the proper medication now. I still feel pretty funky today, but I can tell the infection is starting to work it's way out. I definitely had stuff in my lungs and sinuses as well as my ears. Another lovely, huh?

So, other than running some errands yesterday, I did absolutely nothing with my body. I didn't take the dog on a walk, I didn't do yoga, I basically just laid in bed, with my head tilted to the side where I don't feel like I'm suffocating.

And I was having a hard time not overeating.

I was eating well, lots of healthy foods, fibrous foods, good protein, etc.

But the boredom! Also, the desire for pleasure because I was feeling so crappy. 

But I managed to get a grip on myself. I had to say out loud why I was feeling so hungry, and it had nothing to do with physical hunger. I made absolutely sure that my body had all the nourishment it needed and all the calories it needed to fight this infection, the hunger was in my head.

It's so hard to step out of the moment and get real with myself. Food would have only soothed me for little while and I would've ended up right back where I started, bored and feeling bad and looking for something.

So I drank lots of water, lots of seltzer (Chris got me the new Polar blueberry lemonade one I love so much!), and focused on resting. Read a book, watched Orphan Black with Chris (great show!)

Weighed in at 123.5 today.. That's great for me right now!

I think I'm going to try to take the dog on a walk today. My ear is still all stuffed up and I feel little off, but I think I'm on the mend. I'll give it a try and cut the walk short if I feel I need to.

Namaste :)

2 comments:

  1. Hope you feel better. Kudos to you for not caving to the old neuro pathways that kick up and seem to say " comfort with carbs". Glad you saw the doc

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you got yourself to a doctor quickly. When you get bored, pick up a novel! :)

    ReplyDelete