Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Zucchini Latkes and Chia Pudding

I finally tried out a few recipes I've been seeing around blog-land tonight: zucchini latkes and chia seed pudding! Neither turned out pretty enough to photograph, so there's no photos to show you - I really like pretty food pics, not weird mushy piles of stuff that you wouldn't know what it is at first glance!

The winner of the night was the chia seed pudding. This is the recipe I used, putting together ideas from other blogs (like paleoomg.com and paleocupboard.com):

1/2 cup chia seeds
2 cans organic coconut milk (the thick kind)
1 tablespoon maple syrup 

I put this in a tall, cylindrical Tupperware, shook it up REALLY well and refrigerated. In two hours, it became a gorgeous, nutrient dense (and calorie dense!) pudding!! It cost about $7 and made about 8-9 servings (around 220 cal each)... You'd have to pay over $25 for the same amount of chia pudding at my co-op! Big win!

It's cool to watch the seeds expand, too, and they will fully soak up the milk by tomorrow morning.

The latkes, eh! I winged this recipe and made a few mistakes (I didn't squeeze/drain the shredded zucchini for one!).

I shredded 3 zucchinis, chopped some red onion. Separately I combined 3 eggs, spices and coconut flour.. I added too much coconut flour, so had to add a fourth egg to make it wet again. This was a mistake, the latkes turned out way to eggy, almost like little quiches.

Well, anyway, I combined the wet mixture with the veggies, sautéed them in a pan with olive oil. They tasted fine, but they weren't what I was looking for, I was looking for more veggie and less egg mix!

Still a filling and nutritious dinner, so not a total fail :) We ate them with some bacon for our local butcher (might have saved the meal, haha). We have leftover latkes for lunch tomorrow, too.

My weight has remained the same - I'm feeling really off lately! My food has been real clean (whole, unprocessed, chemical free!) and paleo, too. But my body isn't cooperating. I'll see what happens tomorrow on the scale - I'm feeling healthy and strong otherwise!

<3

2 comments:

  1. I am eager to try the chia pudding. I've been looking for a replacement for my Greek yogurt, maybe this is it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delish. Food photography is tough. Hardest photography I do.

    It takes me 1-2 weeks sometimes to get my gut and body back to fully normal after a lot of travels, eat outs, high omega 6 foods. Then 1-2 weeks of just cruising time. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete