Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Struggling with my day off...

So. I am taking a day off from the gym and from any really purposeful workout.

I am trying not to be too obsessive about working out (just like I am trying not to be too obsessive with food!). So I used my logic-brain-parts and decided my hips and my muscles would really appreciate a day off from working out.

I have always had problems with my hips. When I was younger, I worked a retail/fast food job and stood for 8 hours on a concrete floor several times a week. My hips would SCREAM in agony by the end of my shift.

Once I lost the weight, that kind of pain went away. However: after any particularly long hike or many days in a row of intense cardio, my hip will ache a little. I don't want to damage it.

Also: I noticed that my intensity in my workouts was steadily declining every progressive day I went. I am tired.

So LOGIC dictates, take a day off! Eat healthy and clean, but REST and chill and enjoy a day of healing for your body.

Oy. Logic is smart.

Crazy disordered part of me is whispering bad things though. Things like, I am slacking. This is the start of a downward spiral of you not working out. You are going to gain weight. Be ultra strict with your eating today OR ELSE.

That stuff is nuts. I won't wreck myself with a day off. I certainly don't plan on overeating today but it wouldn't hurt to recuperate my body.

I am still pretty mental over all this health and fitness stuff. It is why I have started this blog. One: to keep myself in check and make sure someone/something is holding me accountable to TRUE health. Two: to let everyone else know this is a struggle even after the weight is off and it is important to work out your mental crap sooner than later.

I haven't really gotten all that mental crap in check yet!

But I am trying :)

My pledge to myself: Balance is key. Love your body and don't overwork it too much. Let yourself heal and feed yourself well. Don't switch to the other end of the spectrum. Find the middle and be truly and completely in balance and well. Be gracious and understanding of things inside your body and outside in the world.

2 comments:

  1. Best of luck with your day off. That mental stuff will get you every time. I too struggle with a all or nothing mindset. If I even eat one too many ANYTHING I feel I have ruined everything. I am working on that right now. I like your pledge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you're describing. I find it very hard to take a day off too, even though logically I know that my body needs restitution!

    ReplyDelete