Thursday, May 21, 2015

Wardrobe alterations to fit the growing body...

I bought a few new things to get me through this stage of pregnancy - maxi skirts with elastic waists and loose tops. But, it's all spring/summer wear and the Northeast is strangely cold (50 degrees) after a few weeks of 80 degree weather!

So I needed to go back to my pants, which definitely do NOT fit (comfortably, anyway - I could maybe button them standing up, but sitting is not happening). I employed the little trick of using a hair tie around the button and through the button hole to give me another inch of pants :) It definitely works, but wow, I feel weird.

I think the hardest part of the weight gain is losing most of my wardrobe! I really spent the last few years completely revamping my style, especially once I started an office job, and had some really great clothes - but all fitted for a 125 pound body. I'm at about 10 pounds heavier and the slick pencil skirts, fitted tops and pants, cute dresses do NOT fit. All the colors and patterns that made me feel really stylish and fun, out. I lost most of my dresses/tops because of my chest growth, haha - everything I bought was for a super small chested woman and I am bursting out of all of it! Even my leggings don't fit anymore, too tight around the thighs and waist, making them see-through in a dangerous way, not ideal.

So, just a small thing I expected but didn't really know how it would make me feel - losing my clothes for the next 9 months - year.

I never really thought about the huge part of your public identity clothes are! It's a way to express yourself and I am definitely not able to express myself fully right now, haha :) Going with a "whatever fits!" attitude isn't as fun in the morning (and since I really don't like my job, wearing cute clothes and going for my daily walks are the only part of my day I look forward to).

I'm definitely looking forward to warmer weather so I can stop wearing pants. Wearing ill-fitting pants is not making me feel awesome right now >.<

I knew I wouldn't be one of those women who looooooooved being pregnant. It's tough physically and mentally for me! All I can do is keep focusing on the reason for this discomfort - ending up with our child, who will hopefully be healthy and happy :)

In other news, I found a wooded, pretty, quiet walking trail at my work complex! I had never seen it before because it is across a decently busy road that I never bothered to cross on my walks. But someone clued me into it and I absolutely love it. It is going to make my summer walks a LOT more pleasant (walking on a pretty, shaded forest path rather than in a sweltering parking lot).

Taking this all a day at a time <3

1 comment:

  1. I went through the same thing when pregnant- it's so hard when all of your cute clothes don't fit anymore. I think pregnancy is different for those of us who have struggled with our weight- it's difficult mentally.

    ReplyDelete