Thursday, June 25, 2015

Body Weight Exercises

So I've been getting back to exercising (slowly!). I've progressed from gentle yoga back to some basic body-weight exercises. I definitely want to make sure that I maintain some of my muscle tone and strength through the pregnancy, it will help me through labor and recovery AND dealing with a newborn, I think, if my body is as strong as it can be. I've read a lot that squats are a really great exercise to do while pregnant, because they specifically strengthen muscles that are used during labor, which is great, because I love squats!

I've also been keeping up with the blog world over the past few months - though I've been quieter than usual (so tired!) - and noticed how popular weight lifting is getting, for all ages and stages. Which is great! I am a huge proponent of strength training. Stronger muscles = stronger bones, which for women, is a really big deal. More muscle mass is great for your overall health, metabolism and body shape, too.

But I just wanted to be a little voice for those who might not be in the place to be lifting heavy (like me!) that body-weight strength training is also a valuable and EASY way to exercise. You don't need any equipment and you don't need to go to a gym. You won't get huge muscle gains, but I've found that practicing body-weight strength training has been excellent for my overall fitness, balance, muscle tone, and health.

I like especially to do exercises like plank or down-dog that require me to use my arms to balance my body weight - though I do a little less of this while pregnant, since I don't want to do too many ab exercises (not really a problem - like I've said before, I'm not exercising for more than 15 minutes a day, aside from walking).

There are lots of resources out there, and just fun little lists, for exercises you can do with just your body weight:

10 Body-Weight Training Exercises You Can Do Anywhere

Like I said, I really like this for beginners, those scared of the gym, those who just have NO TIME (I feel you), or who physically can't commit to any heavier weight lifting. You can do this in the privacy of your bedroom, for 5 or 10 minutes in the morning or whenever you can fit it in, and it costs nothing :)

My diet has been VERY cleaned up the past few days, and I am still walking 4-5 miles a day, with my little body-weight routine in the morning. Feeling much better overall - feeling fitter and stronger, not so lethargic (good, healthy food really helps with that!).

As far as my life?

Well, I got the promotion! I'm so excited to be able to sock away a few hundred extra dollars each month till the baby comes, it will make me feel a lot more secure. I'm also excited to have something NEW to do at work, I've been pretty bored/irritated lately in my position.

Not much else going on for me - just working, writing my diss, and spending a LOT of time in bed when I'm not doing those other two things :) Thankfully, social things seemed to have slowed down and I have a quiet weekend coming up.

That's all for now!

Namaste <3

No comments:

Post a Comment