Thursday, August 13, 2015

My Body as Public Property??

Wow, so my belly got exponentially bigger this week! (Okay - that's an exaggeration :D) But, really, the baby is growing fast right now and so is my waistline. It feels so incredibly strange to have this weight on the front of me. It wasn't like that when I was overweight/obese because I carried my weight pretty evenly over my whole body. Now I feel all unbalanced and strange!

Strangers have started to remark on me being pregnant, that's odd for me.

And friends just cannot help themselves, some just want to touch the belly! I've found that I don't mind it when most people do it, those I consider myself close to and love dearly. It's actually kind of awesome.

But not everyone! One person who is more of an acquaintance than a friend said, "You know your belly is public property now!" and put her hand on my belly. Um, no. No, it's not. Yes, there is a whole other person inside there, but it's still my body. I found that a very weird thing to say on her part, especially as a woman!

Chris has been gone this week and I am pretty overwhelmed with all the stuff I need to do - mostly because I really, really want to make progress on my dissertation so I tend to get frustrated when house/financial/etc stuff has to take precedence. Chris does so much about taking those things off my plate when he is home, I'm grateful for him!

I've let some of my daily yoga practice slide this week, because I am walking the dog now, so I am getting in over 10k steps a day. But I definitely need to fit in 10-15 minutes of stretching even during these busy days.

So, otherwise, things are going well. Enjoying my new car, eating well, sleeping well (sorry Chris- but I do sleep so much better when you are gone... this pregnant lady needs to stretch wayyyyy out!), and getting stuff done overall.

Just a little check in, hope your week is going well, everyone <3

5 comments:

  1. That comment from the acquaintance would have bugged me, too. Nope, you're not public property. Glad you're feeling well, being pregnant is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you're feeling well
    Have a happy Friday and a great weekend.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not suggesting you get one, but these are pretty funny (and accurate) -
    http://www.cafepress.com/+don't-touch+womens-maternity

    ReplyDelete
  4. That used to drive me crazy when I was pregnant and women are, surprisingly, the worst offenders. I started touching THEIR belly when they'd touch mine and when they're shocked, I'd just say "What? You don't like this?" That gives them the message pretty quickly. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Set your boundaries. Be very clear. Teach those around you what you expect. Why? Because you'll need to model that for your baby. You can do this assertively, not aggressively.

    I didn't mind people close to me, but strangers hands on my belly. OH HELL NO. I held up my hand, pointed NO, or removed their hand. No thank you, baby is sleeping, that is uncomfortable for me, too.

    Strangers tried, but got the message fast. I think they think it's good luck. But it's just poor boundaries.

    ReplyDelete